Update: The kernel watchdog driver support tuning the timout through ioctl
calls. A quick and dirty bit of C code:

int main()
{
    int fd = open("/dev/watchdog", O_WRONLY);
    int timeout = 5;
    ioctl(fd, WDIOC_SETTIMEOUT, &timeout);
    printf("Setting timeout to %d seconds\n", timeout);
    close(fd);
    return 0;
}

Will tune the watchdog. I use node.js' child_process to call the above code
(when compiled, obviously), if my node.js app crashes then the BBB will
reboot. Perfect

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/ab8ea583-ab9a-4017-a89f-6bd8127eaf47%40googlegroups.com.