On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 01:35:54 -0800 (PST), in
gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user Jaka Koren
<jaka.koren.isys-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>There are obviously obstacles, the first one with Linux not being a real
>time operating system. One part of my research is measuring the delay
>caused by task scheduling, but for now I want to achieve a real-time
>response. I have read about PRU units having this capability, but have some
>questions:
>-Is using a PRU even suitable for this kind of experiment? I am aiming for
>sub-microsecond accuracy.
>-My task for example would require obtaining global time via selected
>protocol, then synchronizing the hardware clock and PRU to the obtained
>timestamp. Is this possible, considering PRU is a separate unit on the
>board?
>-Is PRU clock accessible to programs in same way as processor clock (via
>hwclock on linux)? Is there a way to send pulses on pins periodically, but
>starting on a predefined moment on clock?

        A belated response -- I stumbled upon the linked article while cleaning
out some stale bookmarks in my browser...

http://software-dl.ti.com/processor-sdk-linux/esd/docs/latest/linux/Industrial_Protocols_PTP.html

--
Dennis L Bieber