I was hopeful to return here after weaving my system together and thank
@rcn for all his help,
but I'm not out of the woods yet.
All the pins initialize correctly (even 8.13 pwm, which is now in a new
file) but as soon
as I write the value 47 into /sys/class/gpio/export pin 8.15 disappears
again. In Debian 8
I used /sys/class/gpio/* for export, unexport, and /sys/class/gpio/gpio#
for direction, value, edge, etc.
This is no longer valid under Debian 10. Sigh