*> tutorials such as these included a description of what version of code
this was developed/tested on.*

This ^^^^^
As a beginner, it's been quite frustrating to have to wade through all the
tutorials referring to a cape manager that no longer exists.
Not only have I learnt how things work today, I've also had to learn how
they used to work — which I could have done without.