On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 09:37:05 -0700 (PDT), in
gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user Nigel Beckles
<barjam143-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>Thanks for responding to me. I have an emmc image on a SD card, I want to
>copy the image from the SD card to my PC.
>When I put the SD card in the Pc, windows says it needs to format the
>drive, What am I doing wrong?

        Windows has no idea of how to access EXTn (Linux) file systems. As far
as Windows is concerned, inserting an SD card with EXT4 is the same as
inserting a never formatted SD card. Windows only reads FAT and NTFS cards.

        Win32DiskImager https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ has
the ability to read a raw SD card. One problem is that it tends to require
an identical card for writing the image because it copies the entire card
layout, and a similar card may have reserved more blocks, meaning the image
won't fit the card. (Balena Etcher is write-only, but may be better for
that operation)

--
Dennis L Bieber