I had an idea tonight while attempting to reconcile some missing amounts
over a credit card account where my last balance was last year September.

The problem is this: Beancount does not include time nor care about
ordering in the file. This is a really important property and I don't want
to ever change that. However, this means that it's impossible to create
balance checks in between transactions that occur on the same day. However,
this type of thing happens all the time with credit cards. There's no
solution at the moment, other than fudging the amounts, which is really
super annoying.

I thought about this: How about I'd add an OPTIONAL link to balance checks,
or create a new type of balance directive. If the link is present, the
semantics would be: check the balance that occurs just before the
transaction which occurs on that same day, and which is the only one with
that link. (If there are more than one transaction on that day with the
link an error should be issued, IOW, it should be unambiguous.)

Now, this seems straightforward to implement - and I was just about to
pounce! - but it's not: there's a whole lot of sorting going on, and it
might affect display as well. I'm not sure yet how to it.

Ideas welcome.