On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 8:35 PM, <mplo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've started playing with import scripts,the sample files provided in repo
> are very useful, just have couple of additional questions i was not able to
> figure out/not 100% sure about:

Really glad the example files are useful.

1 bean-extract does not write transactions in main beancount file
> (personal.beancount), it generates output into command line or
> tmp.beancount and we enter them manually, right?

Correct. You redirect its output to a temp file and using your editor,
cut/paste them to your main file wherever makes most sense for you (and
complete them, e.g., categorize the expenses).

> 2 when running  "bean-extract -e BEANCOUNT_FILE" what is the algorithm
> used to check duplication? Does it check only for same amounts? Or also
> takes into consideration additional clues (payee, date range, etc)?

Not so great, definitely could use some improvement:
https://bitbucket.org/blais/beancount/src/cd5fe599fdc80d47caa8a2618f5ee489ce88d101/beancount/ingest/similar.py
https://bitbucket.org/blais/beancount/issues/185/make-duplicate-detection-configureable

3 When filing files bean-file example.import ../Downloads/ -o documents/
> how are name and date generated?
> Seems it is picks up date from original file name (example
> UTrade20160215.csv), but when it's not in file name how ofxdownload.ofx
> turns to 2013-12-18.bofa.ofx
>

>From the file_name() and file_date() methods of your importer
implementation:
https://bitbucket.org/blais/beancount/src/cd5fe599fdc80d47caa8a2618f5ee489ce88d101/beancount/ingest/importer.py
If you use the example CSV importer it does what it can.
Typically you'd write your own and choose what you want it to be.

> 4 Main value of regression testing is to insure that new changes/additions
> to importers still work with old input files,
> It's not so useful to help importers work with new formats if format was
> changed by bank, right?

Both.
Those importer codes are typically the last thing you want to do on a
Saturday night, so they tend to be kludgey.
- When you need to support something new, you want to make sure you don't
break old functionality.
- When the Java programmers at your favorite bank change the output format
without warning you (or realize 10 years after that escaping the commas in
the CSV fields might have been a good idea), there's no faster way to test
a new / updated importer than to plot a newer file in the directory and run
regression tests

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:30 AM, <mplo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 5 Also what's the right way to calculate balance
> <https://puu.sh/A4jLY/9988e9d3c4.png>?

Ideally you don't calculate it. Ideally you find it somewhere and enter it.

> Chase have the following CSV structure,
> <https://puu.sh/A4jMT/4bf8a55e85.png>
>
> Balance fields are included in checking CSV, so i guess i can use balance
> of the last transactions for balance.
> They are not included in credit card CSV however. Is there a way to
> calculate them?
>
> And how important "balance" in the first place? Cause for example this
> import script https://gist.github.com/mterwill/7fdcc573dc1aa158648aacd4e33
> 786e8#file-importers-chase-py does not have "balance".

They're optional.

The reason for Balance directives is to assert (and I mean that in the
computer programming sense as well) that your ledger's calculated balance
matches the institution's idea of what it should be. The picture perfect
idea of a Balance directive is a fuddy duddy accountant type wearing brown
socks staring at the bottom line of his paper statement carefully through
bifocals and manually copying the number to a Balance directive in
Beancount.

My understanding is that most systems work on the basis of
"reconciliation", which is a fancy way of saying that you're meant to
eyeball what you've entered and confirm it perfect, and after that it's
frozen. I preferred granting my users the superpowers of changing the past
at will, so I decided to encode that as allowing you to assert balances at
particular points in time - Beancount will always automatically complain is
a computed balance fails to match your bank's expectation. All the
assertions are always checked. Adding Balance directives often also allows
you to zero in on errors faster when you're debugging things (e.g. some
missing transaction which for whatever reason you failed to enter - it
happens).

If your downloaded file contains a parseable balance field, I encourage you
to make that importer automatically generate a corresponding Balance
directive.
Otherwise, you can manually insert one manually every now and then when you
log into that website (e.g. to make a payment) and copy the number on the
screen to the current date. The idea is to enter there a number which you
know (or assume) is correct.