On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 7:37:28 PM UTC+7, mpl...@gmail.com wrote:

> As the title says i wonder when to use tags and when to create separate
> account?

I don't know if there's really any set best practice. I use tags for
(relatively) short lived things. For instance, if I'm on a vacation, it all
goes to Expenses:Vacation but I'll tag each vacation separately #iceland
#hongkong etc. Or if I'm trying to get any kind of "cross-account" view on
something. Say I'm doing a home remodel. I would tag everything as #remodel
even if various expenses might come from multiple accounts (Expense:Tax,
Expense:Legal, Expense:etc....).

In your case since it is more of an on-going thing I would create sub
accounts as you've done. But that's just me.

One good thing about plaintext accounting is that it is (somewhat) easy to
massively restructure everything if you ever change your mind.