I wouldn't hold anything in a private github repo. If it's private enough
to not be public, then it's private enough to not trust github (the
company) with this information. And I mean that for code too. I have my own
private server on a VPS host which is encrypted and I'm reasonably sure
that the hosting company can't read it.