On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 3:04 PM Ben Blount <b...@bben.us> wrote:

> 1) Is there any downside of attaching so many currencies to a single
>> account?
>

> For beancount's core tools probably not. It may not work nicely with
> tooling like Fava's holdings report.
>
>  2) Is there a way to represent these transactions using the same currency
>> over and over (based on the cost basis and date of options)
>

> That gives me an idea. Cost has a date and label field. When omitted, date
> is set to the date of the posting which created the lot, and the label is
> None.
> However you could totally use these for your own purposes:
> 2020-12-28 * "STO March 1 PUT 200 on HOOL"
>    Assets:Brokerage:Taxable:HOOL:Options   -1 HOOLPUT {1000 USD,
> 2021-03-01}
>    Assets:Brokerage:Taxable:Cash                     1000 USD
>
> 2020-12-30 * "BTC March 1 PUT 200 on HOOL"
>    Assets:Brokerage:Taxable:HOOL:Options   1 HOOLPUT {2021-03-01} @ 990
> USD  ; Notice how you can omit the price here since there's a unique match
> already. If you had STO that same put at more than one price you'd need to
> put the price+date on the BTC unless you are closing the whole position.
>    Assets:Brokerage:Taxable:Cash                     -990 USD
>    Income:PnL
>
> Variations include setting the label as the type of option so you can use
> the same commodity for puts and calls. The approach above is the decent
> balance IMO. I'd still recommend making the option commodity specific so
> you can see your holdings rolled up independent of what account they are in.

That's not going to work, because of two reasons: using the lot-date as the
expiration will fail for vertical spreads (as you point out), which are a
most popular building block, but more importantly, the cost of the option
isn't the strike, and that's going to mess up the P/L part of the
transaction. Much better to use TD symbols (e.g. RUT_031921C2400), which
BTW, are naturally fitting the Beancount commodity syntax, and to leverage
Beancount's ability to compute P/L.