> If you are not interested in using the modules, it is not actually that
hard
> to roll your own.  In the past I have done different things for total
> counts, either two separate queries, one just a 'SELECT COUNT(*)' and
the
> other to actually fetch the data.  Depending on your data you might be
able
> to add the count into your data fetching query but probably not.
>
> Why do you not want to use the modules?

Thank you Tyler, I hadn't though about just using select COUNT(*).

One thing people sometimes do if they have a lot of rows (a whole lot) is to
actually keep a separate table that stores the count and then you can just
select from that.  It is not recommended unless you really have a lot of
rows because it de-normalizes the database.  The count() should work fine
however.

Keep in mind that count() is database dependent, even database-engine dependent. For instance, mySQL's MyISAM engine keeps a running count of the number of rows in a table, so count() is cheap. Buy the InnoDB engine does *not* keep that running total, so count() is relatively expensive. If you're talking a few hundred or thousand rows, it shouldn't be a problem--but if you're talking large numbers (six million rows of genomic data, anyone), then it'll probably be an issue.

Paul