On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:22:34 -0500
Lewis Kirk <captk...@dmzgraphics.com> wrote:

> At 5:58 AM -0800 1/19/09, dirk van der Giesen wrote:
> >If you run perl Makefile.pl it actually installes the module (.pm)
> >file. This usually is in the usr/bin/ directory or somewhere similar
> >and on a host it means you must have permissions to do so. The most
> >easy way is to ask your host to install the module for you, but
> >there is also something else you can try yourself (from
> >http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perlmodinstall.pod):
> >
> >-- but you can install modules into any directory you wish.
> >For instance,
> >where I say perl Makefile.PL,
> >you can substitute perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/my/perl_directory to
> >install the modules into /my/perl_directory. Then you can use the
> >modules from your Perl programs with use lib
> >"/my/perl_directory/lib/site_perl"; or sometimes just use
> >"/my/perl_directory";. If you're on a system that requires
> >superuser/root access to install modules into the directories you
> >see when you type perl -e "print qq(@INC)", you'll want to install
> >them into a local directory (such as your home directory) and use
> >this approach.
> >

> So if I use MakeFile to install the modules locally on my McOSX
> machine, I should be able to ftp the result to the correct folder (ie
> cgi-bin or cgi or wherever) on my remotely hosted web site and be
> able to use it by calling "use foo::bar;" in my main perl file as
> long as they are located in the same folder. Or would I need to
> include "use lib '.';" to establish the path?
>
> BTW, the module I am trying to install is reCAPTCHA.pl which has two
> dependencies: LWP::UserAgent and HTML::Tiny. I am trying to implement
> a captcha using NMS Formmail and http://recaptcha.net/, but my
> question about MakeFile has been bugging me for sometime.

1. I don't know reCAPTCHA.pl, it doesn't sound like a module to me. It
sounds like a script that just needs running. By convention, modules
have a 'pm' extension and are a bit more complicated that a script in
its structure.

2. Does your server have LWP::UserAgent and HTML::Tiny installed? If
so, have you tried simply running the reCAPTCHA.pl script?

Owen