Aimee Cardenas wrote:

Why just limit yourself to AWK or Perl? What about cut(1), join(1), sort(1), etc.?

These are good options as well. I'm just comparing the capabilities and perl and awk on this matter because a colleague of mine is a die-hard Awker and I myself have an affinity for Perl. Curiosity temps me to pick the brains of the experts some times. :-)

You could always use a2p(1) to convert his hard-to-understand awk scripts into (hard-to-understand) Perl scripts. :-)

John
--
Those people who think they know everything are a great
annoyance to those of us who do.        -- Isaac Asimov