I'm looking to get some ideas on how to make an "information station"
for my mother who has the beginning stages of dementia.  I want to display
information on her TV, like when her next meal is, time of day, date, etc.,
which of course would change daily and throughout the day.

        I was thinking that I'd get a Raspberry Pi and program that to retrieve
text files from a server depending on the time of day.  I don't know how well
the RPi handles Perl - it seems to be geared for Python.  I would need to be
able to display text in any size and style.  My first though was to use HTML,
but I don't want to use a browser to display the text onscreen.  Would this
require a GUI, such as Tk?

        Has anyone done anything like this before?  Am I on the right track
with my ideas or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks,
Frank