Hi Frank

Apologies in advance for a non-Perl answer to a Perl question :-)

In case you want to see what's already out there, the search engine term
for you is "assistive technology".

I only know this because I once had to advise a government funding body on
the feasibility of a start-up's proposal for developing the kind of system
you're referring to.

Hope that's helpful!

Andrew