We choose to manually install our modules for all of our environments. The CPAN
module has a tendency to grab the latest and greatest of everything.

One nice thing is to use the CPAN.pm to make a 'snapshot' of your modules and make a
bundle out of them. Then just install your custom bundle. You'll need to edit the
list it makes, as it will bundle all of your standard shipped modules as well.

HTH

Matt