On Saturday, July 6, 2002, at 10:00 , John Almberg wrote:

> I have a related question . . . where does @INC come from? I guess there
> is
> a configuration file somewhere?
>
> -- John

more info available at perldoc perlvar

a quick deconstruction:

        @:              this is an array
        INC:    short for include

hence the array of thing we may need to go to for includes,
eg: all the default "-I<inc_dir>" stuff.

Try to remember that the

        use FOO::BAR

merely 'reads the include' as it were and 'imports'
any reference to things in the FOO::BAR module....

As is noted - the base @INC is compiled into perl - and
there is a reasonably standard hierarchy about how things
should hang below that level.

As also noted the traditional ways of manipulating it are

        a) the "use lib <token>;" pragma
        b) the '-I<dir>' "command line" option
                for fun tried to programme that in
                #!/usr/bin/perl -I'<path_to_lib>' -w
                but that did not work

        c) set the Environmental variable LIB5PERL

which is useful if you find that you are installing
into non-standard directories such as

        $ENV{HOME}/lib/perl

ciao
drieux