mike wrote:
Am I right in thinking that if you double quote the seperator in split
the seperator is added to the array ie:

@array3=split(/"\t/",$value4); would add \t to the end of @array3 while

As you have written it above I get a syntax error:

String found where operator expected at ./test.pl line 12, at end of line
        (Missing semicolon on previous line?)
Can't find string terminator '"' anywhere before EOF at ./test.pl line 12.

If you meant, C</"\t"/> then I still don't think you will get what you want. C<split> just isn't that smart.

@array3=split(/\t/,$value4); would not

What are you really trying to do?

http://danconia.org