On 7/20/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hey Guys,
I am working on linux (redhat) 1999 version without the xwindows.
I have configured my dns server on this linux box and it works fine for my test
lab network at home. Apache and sendmail are also working fine without any
problem.
I have this huge book called the camel about perl which i have read
over ten times before even touching the program perl itself to get the theory
of the whole thing. now when i went to the shell as root
trying to launch perl from #!/usr/bin/perl -wT
nothing seems tobe working, it hangs and doesn't go any further on the next
line for ever till i kill the process and then it tells me stopped perl. what
is it that i am ding wrong , i need somebody to help me understand how to
launch this program perl. i know it is installed because the program tells me
everything is o.k when i rpm -q perl.

Just adding to what John already said, it hangs because, when used
without arguments like script file names or "  -e 'print qq{Hello,
world\n}'       ", it expects the script is coming from the standard
input.

So you can do

$ perl -wT

print "Hello, world!\n";

for (1..10) {
   print STDOUT ('one','two','three')[$_ % 3];
}

Hello, world!

^D (or something that tells your system the stream is over)

twothreeonetwothreeonetwothreeonetwo

i even typed in all the example perl cgi scripts that i learned
still nothing, i like working upwards that is why i am using
a lower version of linux and then try to move on to the latest
kernels.
please let me know what to do .
thanks in advance
john conteh