On 10/11/15 02:37, Zou, Nanhai wrote:
looks like something related to drm driver bo management.

dose
export bo_reuse=0
help?
No; if anything, it makes it fill the memory _faster_.

(All of this is in 1.1.1; I haven't tried it in master, at least not recently.)

Thanks
Zou Nanhai

-----Original Message-----
From: Beignet [mailto:beignet-boun...@lists.freedesktop.org] On Behalf Of
Rebecca N. Palmer
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 6:06 AM
To: beignet@lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: [Beignet] Unrecoverable system lockup when allocating too much
memory

(The example in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pyopencl/+bug/1354086 no
longer hangs, so the "rapidly allocating and freeing pyopencl objects
doesn't actually free the memory" aspect has evidently been fixed, but
keeping too many objects for the available memory still does hang.

On further investigation, it isn't that simple:

-Create and keep (large_array_test.py): With swap, creates the objects in
swap (becoming slow but not actually hanging), then errors out on trying to do
arithmetic on them.  Without swap, errors out in object creation, but not
before the kernel's OOM killer terminates a few pieces of the desktop
(according to the log, it thinks my test is only using ~50MB, so it (like
gnome-system-monitor) evidently can't see GPU memory use).
-Rapid create-then-free (arraybug_test.py) using the result (naive
pyopencl.clmath): Doesn't hang, but may segfault on exit.  (Kernel log:
python3[8857]: segfault at 20 ip 00007fa5caac3c84 sp 00007ffca782b2a0 error
4 in libpthread-2.21.so[7fa5caaba000+18000] ; I can't be more specific because
it doesn't crash under gdb).
-Rapid create-then-free throwing away the result (this would be a bug in a real
program, but probably shouldn't hang the entire system): With swap, starts
using it, hence becoming slow but not actually hanging (though I haven't taken
it to the point of actually filling the swap).
Without swap, hangs (at least screen output does: desktop clock frozen, mouse
pointer minimally responsive), with disk activity (!);
Alt+SysRq+s,u,b restarts, but usually doesn't write the log).