Hello Rebecca,

Please accept my apologies for being not very informative. I'm running Ubuntu
16.04.1LTS x86_64 on Intel Core i7-6700, and I had the patched Linux kernel
4.4.21-intel.r16.5 and Intel's opencl_runtime_16.1.1_x64_ubuntu_6.4.0.25
installed in parallel with Beignet. After erasing all that stuff and switching
back to the standard kernel (4.4.0-38-generic, in fact 4.4.17 with patches,
according to ChangeLog), with Beignet as the only ICD provider, clinfo no
longer fails without X. Unfortunately, it does not find any GPU either:

# clinfo
Number of platforms                               1
  Platform Name                                   Intel Gen OCL Driver
  Platform Vendor                                 Intel
  Platform Version                                OpenCL 1.2 beignet 1.2
  Platform Profile                                FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Extensions
cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics
cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics
cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer
cl_khr_spir cl_khr_icd cl_intel_accelerator cl_intel_motion_estimation
cl_intel_subgroups
  Platform Extensions function suffix             Intel
beignet-opencl-icd: no supported GPU found, this is probably the wrong
opencl-icd package for this hardware
(If you have multiple ICDs installed and OpenCL works, you can ignore this
message)

  Platform Name                                   Intel Gen OCL Driver
Number of devices                                 0

NULL platform behavior
  clGetPlatformInfo(NULL, CL_PLATFORM_NAME, ...)  Intel Gen OCL Driver
beignet-opencl-icd: no supported GPU found, this is probably the wrong
opencl-icd package for this hardware
(If you have multiple ICDs installed and OpenCL works, you can ignore this
message)
  clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...)   Intel Gen OCL Driver
  clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [default]            No devices found in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU)  No devices found in
platform
beignet-opencl-icd: no supported GPU found, this is probably the wrong
opencl-icd package for this hardware
(If you have multiple ICDs installed and OpenCL works, you can ignore this
message)
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU)  No devices found in
platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR)  No devices found
in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CUSTOM)  No devices found in
platform
beignet-opencl-icd: no supported GPU found, this is probably the wrong
opencl-icd package for this hardware
(If you have multiple ICDs installed and OpenCL works, you can ignore this
message)
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL)  No devices found in
platform

ICD loader properties
  ICD loader Name                                 OpenCL ICD Loader
  ICD loader Vendor                               OCL Icd free software
  ICD loader Version                              2.2.9
  ICD loader Profile                              OpenCL 2.1

The GPU itself is found by the system:

# lspci -nn |grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Integrated
Graphics [8086:1912] (rev 06)

Could you please drop me some hints on where to dig further? I feel like I'm
stuck.

BTW, thank you very much for the debian package that I found in Debian sid, I
took its controls and used them to build a package for Ubuntu, with some
modifications (e.g. killed X dependency).

--
Best Regards,

Seva Gluschenko