On 4/8/07, Sayamindu Dasgupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Deepayan Sarkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have recently noticed a fairly bad bug in Pango w.r.t. the handling
> > of ZWNJ; in fact I'm surprised no one has mentioned it before. Anyway,
> > I've put up a test page with screenshots at
> >
> > http://bengalionline.net/rendering-bugs/rendering-bugs.html
> >

> Deepayan - could you take a look at the latest Pango from svn and
> confirm if ঝন্ঝন্ is still there. I can't seem to reproduce that.

I'll take your word for it (I don't have time to test). For the
record, I was going to say that replacing ZWNJ by ZWNJ ZWJ seemed to
fix the rendering, so that could have been a quick and dirty solution.

> > Could someone confirm the behaviour I see and file an appropriate bug
> > report for Pango? I will follow up on the Qt stuff myself. It would be
> > nice if someone could also look into openoffice, but it has bigger
> > problems than this (which I'm happy to discuss if anyone's
> > interested).
>
> OOo is confusing for me. ...anyway - what are the problems ?

Look at

http://dsarkar.fhcrc.org/bn/sumo.bn.pdf

which is obtained by

1. wget http://bengalionline.net/Archive/Rabindranath/Poetry/sumo.bn.html
2. remove first line because OOo doesn't understand XHTML
3. open with OOo and export to PDF

I get weird placement of some glyphs in a systematic but hard to
describe manner. This is with Jamrul, and I haven't tested with other
fonts (which is why I didn't want to bring this up yet).

PDF exporting isn't the issue, I see the same problem inside OOo, I
just posted the PDF as something invariant. If not for this issue, OOo
would be ideal for creating PDF files for the archive (it can even be
scripted using UNO).

-Deepayan