On 5/14/07, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay  wrote:

> > I have updated the interface of Ankur's E2B dictionary with Murshed's
> > really nice BN Web tool. So now people can contribute new Bengali
> > word without changing his/her keyboard layout and it should "just work"
> :-)
> >
> > http://www.bengalinux.org/cgi-bin/abhidhan/bdict.pl
> >
> > So please feel free to test it and post any suggestions that you
> > may have.
>
> I have a single query: what are the things that you think are required
> to enhance, augment and make your effort more rich ?

In my opinion, there are basically two fronts that require efforts.

1) First and most crucial one to have more contributors. Say, as
a first target we want to have a dictionary which has 25,000 words
(near same no of definitions that of Pocket Oxford dictionary).
For that, we need to have roughly around 50,000 entries in our database
(each parts of speech, are counted separately)
Currently we have 11,000+ entries.

So roughly 100 entries a day, will take us within this target in a year.
On the other hand with current rate of roughly 10 entries a day will take
ten years!!

BTW, during Jamil-bhai's "localization camp"  contributions goes up
to few hundreds a day :-)

2) Second aspect is technical. As suggested by Dipankar-da, we can
have more richer database. For example, for each entry (English word)
apart from current field of "Bengali meaning" and "Parts of speech", we can
have more fields like "Explanation (ব্যাখ্যা)", "Usage", "Original
Contributor",
"Last editor", etc...

Currently, the database is in plain text. However, I have plans to switch
into
some good database back-end during the course.

These are my current thoughts on it but I try to keep myself
open to new ideas!!

Golam
---
http://www.gravity.psu.edu/~hossain/