From: "Mary-Ann Bowman"

"bad orthopedics are not caused by food -- it is in the genes I am afraid."

Mary-Ann and all,

I have to totally disagree that bad orthopedics are not/can not be caused by
food.

While heredity is a major factor you can *cause* orthopedic problems in a
sound puppy, from sound parents.
In my opinion, hip and elbow problems can be caused by a combination of
factors including: heredity, nutrition, and environment.

1. Feeding a high protein/fat diet, one example would be the old Eukanuba
puppy which had like 32% protein and 20% fat caused rapid growth (including
bones) which can cause many problems including malformation of hip sockets,
femur heads etc.

2. Allowing a puppy to jump off decks, run down stairs, and play roughly can
cause FCP and other injuries.

3. It goes back to the fact that even if you have 4 generations of hip/elbow
certified stock behind a puppy,  that puppy could still develop problems if
the nutrition and environment of the puppy is not properly controled by the
owner.

I try very hard to make sure that the owners of our babies are made aware of
this, and how to try to avoid "caused" problems.

Bernerly,

Mary

Jeff & Mary Chapdelaine
SnoBear Berners