In a message dated 11/06/2002 3:39:19 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<  Mind you, I am not saying that is what you are doing but I for one am
rather tired of hearing excuses for bad orthopedics, and I am especially sick
of hearing it blamed on the owners (bad food, jumped off a grooming table,
jumped from the car, too much exercise, too little exercise, on and on...).
Hip and elbow dysplasia are inherited diseases, and pretending or wishing
otherwise will not make those facts go away. >>

While I agree whole heartedly that the TENDENCY for poor joint orthopedics is
inherited, whether the dysplasias are evidenced can be influenced by
environmental factors.  It is not likely that a dog with good genetics for
joints will have a negative response to early jumping, poor diet, etc. Dogs
with a genetic propensity for joint problems can , with the best of care and
avoidance of challenges to its body, grow and live without showing those
"bad" genetics.  When I was breeding dogs, I believed in allowing my young
dogs destined for the show ring, sled team or breeding to be challenged in
many ways as I wanted any tendency toward dysplasia to be demonstrated if
possible prior to their 2 year OFA clearances and their first breeding.  On
the other hand, I also recommended to pet dog owners to avoid these
challenges if possible so as to reduce the opportunity to have joint problems
in a dog destined to live a less strenuous life.

Anne Copeland, Flash,TDI/CGC (Berner, 8 yrs.) & Gypsy TDI/CGC(Rescue
Cavalier,1 1/2 yr.)
NE ILL       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BMDCSEW Vice President
Ty's memorial page: http://www.geocities.com/workingyorkie/ty.html