From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 6:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Glucosamine/Chondroitin--brand name vs generic

In a message dated 1/3/2003 8:44:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I should go to the COSTCO and buy the
>  human formulation of Cosequin DS.  It was much cheaper and is identical
in
>  formulation.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Generic over the counter products may or may not contain what the label
claims they do. No one actually checks on them. Especially when you are
talking  about "nutraceuticals" and herbal type products that are produced
and sold w/out the supervision of the FDA, you just never really know what
you are getting. You know nothing about product purity or dosing.

I was at a medical conference recently where a group of researchers actually
bought 10 different brands of a common herbal product (I forget whether it
was ginsing or black cohosh....something like that) and analysed the
products. All the companies had labeling that claimed the same dosage of the
same product. The range  of what WAS actually in the pills they were selling
was amazing....from NONE of the "active ingredient" at all to several times
the dose listed.

Buyer beware! If you are buying a product not under FDA regulation, I would
go w/ a well recognised brand name w/ a repuation to protect.

Vilma Briggs, MD
Mt. Gilead, OH
U-UD Mocha Java Slurp, UDX, HIC, TT
Ch. Brighteye Expresso Bean, UD, NDD, TT
U-CDX Our Little Buddy, UD, NA, TT
Thirdtym's A Charm, CGC
and Ted