Dear Carol,

Thank you for your response.  Quite honestly I was a bit hesitant to even
mention aggressive behavior for I know it is highly subjective.   My husband
and I adopted a dog, pre-marriage and children.   He is a  Black Lab/Great
Dane mix.  He  was the only member of our household, besides the two of us,
for three years.  He was wonderful when we brought my daughter home from the
hospital and continued to be a wonderful, loyal, adoring, protective pet
until my daughter was about 18 months.  She had already been walking for 6
months when the first incidence of "aggression" occurred.  My daughter was
playing as she always did with him when he snapped at her making contact
with her face and nearly missing her eye.  My husband and I were sitting
each within a foot of the dog and my daughter as we always did when they
interacted.  I had friends tell me,"That dog would be out of my house
already.  That's it!"  We kept the dog for a little while longer but
separated the dog from my daughter which caused him to shy away from her
with hair on end every time she came near her.  We were so confused and
distraught over what to do.  He had been loyal and loving for three years+
but the safety of my children comes first above all else and he was placed
in another household with out children.

The other instance of aggression was with a dog belonging to my parents.   I
grew up with an Airedale Terrier, among other large dogs, and my parents
adopted a rescue Airedale about two years ago.  I realize that Rescues are
very special cases each one independent of itself.  The Airedale had obvious
experienced some terrible hardship and abuse in his life that did not
present itself until my sister, aged 25, or my daughter, aged 12 months,
walked into the house.  He would corner my sister in small rooms.  He would
growl and snarl at my daughter.  Unfortunately all one had to do was to look
into this poor dog's eyes to see his anger.  I warned my mother of the
feeling he gave me the very first time I met him.   He was taken back into
Airedale Rescue hands. My parents have since had a wonderful experience with
another Airedale Rescue.

My reasons for joining this mailing list other than to learn as much as I
can about Berners and their owners, are to prevent myself from making
mistakes I may or may not have made in the past and to find a suitable
family pet in which to exchange a loving, loyal, adoring, protective
relationship with.

Thanks you,
Aishling