Hi all. I just heard word of a 3 year old neutered male Berner being given to
Rescue. He is having what sounds like some fairly signifigant behavioral
problems, centered around aggression issues. Is there anyone out there
interested in helping me work w/ this dog?

The issue of "aggression" (an often overused and misused term which actually
covers a very wide range of behaviors) seems to be getting more and more
common in our breed. I would love to get together a group of  Berner lovers,
ideally w/ an interest in training/behavior,  who are willing to help these
dogs on a one on one basis, supporting each other in these endeavors, etc.

I personally have taken into my home and worked extensively w/ 3
rescue/rehome Berners w/ similar such issues in the last 10 months. I was
wondering if there was anyone else out there who would be able to help me
rehabilitate this particular dog? I would be willing to take him in to my
home for a  month or so and evaluate him and begin working w/ him.

What I would like to do  (if it seems like rehabilitation is indeed a viable
possibility) is work out an individualised treatment/management plan for him,
and then find a foster home who could continue to train him along the
outlines of his plan.  We could work on things w/ him together, hopefully
being able to rehabilitate him so he could become placeable.

He is currently in the northeastern US and we can get him to Maryland, where
I could pick him up next month at the regional and bring him back here to OH
for a month or so, if I knew a foster home was ready to help after that. (My
husband and I already have 8 dogs in our home now.)

If you would like more details, please let me know. Thank you so much!

Vilma Briggs (Kistner)
Mt. Gilead, OH
U-UD Mocha Java Slurp, UDX, HIC, TT
Ch. Brighteye Expresso Bean, UD, NDD, TT
U-CDX Our Little Buddy, UD, NA, TT
Thirdtym's A Charm, CGC
and Ted