I have used a bike to excersize dogs - not as regular excersize but as extra
conditioning for the show ring.  No more than 1/2 to 3/4 mile at a time at a
brisk trot.  I did buy a "Springer", but never used it!  I couldn't get it
mounted on my bike where it would not interfere with the pedals.
I bought an old one-speed Columbia at an auction just for this activity.
With the coaster brakes, you don't have to worry about juggling a leash, the
handlebars and hand brakes all at once.  Now, mind you, I live in a rural
area, where a (temporarily) loose dog isn't usually a disaster.  I  hold the
leash very lightly in one hand, and if the dog pulls, I simply let go.
However, I found that they don't generally pull once they get used to the
idea that they are working; they will trot along and mostly ignore the
distractions.
Most important - I would never do forced excersize such as this with a dog
under a year old!!

Pauline Merrick
Brookfield, MA  USA