Liz Murray wrote: << I was surprised to read about
people attaching their dogs to their bikes . . .  Do
people do this alot? Just curious>>

Liz,

I've seen people do this a lot with dogs of every
size. Those I've asked told me they believe it's great
exercise for them and for their dog.

Over a long period of time, a close friend of mine had
two German Shepards, a Labrador Retreiver and then a
Golden Retreiver and some mixed breed dogs - and those
are just the ones I remember right now. One of her
main purposes in having a dog was to accompany her on
her weekly bike rides (when weather permitted). Every
dog developed horrible orthopedics, most while at
early ages. All dogs were eventually put down for this
reason except one (that I can remember). She kept
changing breeds thinking maybe it was just the breed
or the pedigree involved. When it happened to the
mixed breeds, too, the lightbulb turned on in her head
that maybe that kind of exercise was harming her dogs.

For myself, I wouldn't be concerned about the safety
during the exercise so much as what it would do to my
dog's orthopedics. I will never, ever subject any dog,
much less a large breed dog like a Berner, to that
kind of exercise. I learned this lesson from watching
my friend and her dogs.

Please know that I applaud anyone who has positive
experiences bike-riding w/their dogs longterm: to
each, her/his own experience.

Cheers,
Esther Wilson
Lavina, Montana