Vicky,

In addition to the histiocytosis research at Fred Hutchinson and Dana Farber, there
are a number of other studies that I can summarize here.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center has been working for a number of years to map
the canine genome, they have been working in concert with a number of other research
facilities around the world. They had been collecting samples of unrelated dogs from
as many different breeds as possible, I don't know if they still need samples from
Berners or not. I suspect they have enough, but I'll have to check.

Berner-Garde is sponsoring a study by Dr. George Padgett to determine if
hemangiosarcoma has a hereditary basis in Bernese Mountain Dogs. I believe we will
hear that it is.

There is a study supported by the BMDCA on lymphoma and osteosarcoma. It's being done
by Dr. Jaime Modiano in Denver, Colorado, at the AMC Cancer Research Center.

VetGen has been working on hip dysplasia for a number of years, they are always
interested in getting samples from dogs that are members of families with more than
two affected Berners.

Epilepsy is being studied at the U of Missouri-Columbia and the U of Minnesota. They
are studying the genetic basis for epilepsy in all breeds, and they are also
interested in samples.

Dr. Paige Carmichael, DVM, at the University of Georgia School of Veterinary Medicine,
is working on developing a carrier test for Hepatocerebellar Degeneration.

Sandy Novocin is collecting information about symptoms that we see in Bernese that
seem to suffer from something similar to Multiple Schlerosis in humans. She wants to
provide information to a neurologist that is interested in learning more about this
problem.

These are just a very small group of all the studies that are being done, you can
always take a look at www.bmdca.org under Health for contact information and details
on how to participate.

For information about what other studies are being done, take a look at
http://www.akcchf.org/ under Research. It's a long list! And those are only the ones
being sponsored by the Canine Health Foundation.

I know I didn't answer your question quite the way you had hoped, but I did want to be
thorough!

Pat Long (& Luther)
Berwyn PA

Check any e-mail over the Web for free at MailBreeze (http://www.mailbreeze.com)