The American Heartworm Society offers a very informative website on
heartworm at: www.heartwormsociety.org/

Although this site is sponsored by an educational grant from Fort Dodge
(with other drug company sponsorship relationships), the site is still very
informative and will put you in an excellent position to have a fairly deep
discussion with your vet on how to assess the risk in your area for your
dogs.  If you don't want to know the nitty gritty for vets, you can go to
the area on the site for pet owners.  Personally, I found aspects of the
section for vets to be interesting, too.

Again, the decision to administer a drug is a matter of risk assessment
based on the incidence of heartworm in YOUR geography, the overall health of
YOUR dog, the rate and nature of side effects, and YOUR ability to COMPLY
with the required drug administration schedule (or in case you choose not to
administer medication, YOUR ability to COMPLY with a schedule for regular
fecal exams on all your dogs -- for after the fact testing for infection).

You might be interested in knowing that we have known for over 100 years
that heartworm infected dogs and in cats for 80 years -- despite the recent
flurry of heartworm ads aimed at feline owners!

My three Berners are on Interceptor (which I administer on the first of each
month - mark it on the calendar) because my vet and I have assessed their
risk of heartworm disease (and the complications of treating it) in my area
to be greater than the risk of the drug's side effects.  I have friends
whose dogs live in approximately the same geographic area that my dogs do
who have come to different conclusions.  These decisions must be made
individually and independently, based on the particular risk profile that
your particular dogs face.

Nancy Melone, Ph.D.
Mars, PA