Hi Ellen,
If your girl has a tendency for fatty cysts she will pop them up from time
to time no doubt causing your alarm button to go off:-( I presume the one
removed from her hip was benign, your vet can aspirate this one on her ribs
and see if it is a fatty lipoma. Swollen glands don't move around and if
this lump feels free based chances are it's another cyst. Your vet can
demonstrate to you the main areas of glands (ie lymphatic system) that you
can stroke down and check regularly for lumps and bumps but remember they
can raise up when dealing with infection just as ours do when we have a
sore throat. Many older Berners tend to carry a bit too much weight and
some thought is given to reducing the fat intake and some have seen a
reduction in these fatty growths. Also regular brushing parting the coat in
layers so that you reach the skin can also help with skin health, a quality
bristle brush is good for this and not too sratchy. Warm baths and massages
are good too and if you invest in a dog dryer then you can checked the skin
easily:-)

Always a good thing to check lumps and bumps with your vet and discuss
management of diet etc.

Rose T.