John - Thank you for reminding folks of RFC7120.  It exists due to lots of past
pain

Bess WG

Please go toward the new code point scenario John Scudder describes and RFC7120
recommends.

  If at some point changes that are not backward compatible are
  nonetheless required, a decision needs to be made as to whether
  previously allocated code points must be deprecated (see Section 3.3
  for more information on code point deprecation).  The considerations
  include aspects such as the possibility of existing deployments of
  the older implementations and, hence, the possibility for a collision
  between older and newer implementations in the field.

Let’s not tempt fate for melt-downs.  Now, more than ever.

I look forward to John’s write-up of the alternative.

Sue Hares

IDR co-chair.