From: BESS <bess-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Praveen Reddy
<mpkr43=40yahoo...@dmarc.ietf.org>
Date: Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 8:09 AM
To: bess@ietf.org <bess@ietf.org>
Subject: [bess] clarification needed on EVPN IP ALIASING draft- kindly enlighten
Hi,

It is mentioned in the EVPN IP ALIASING Draft that a synchronised ARP entry
gets created in forwarding on MH node when a MAC/IP is Received fron other MH
PE and ESI is locally attached but not needed to re-originate the MAC/IP route
advertisement.

copy pasting the snippet mentioned in the draft
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sajassi-bess-evpn-ip-aliasing/

" In a case where H1 is locally learned only on PE1 due to LAG hashing
   or a single routing protocol adjacency to PE1, at PE3, H1 has ECMP
   path list (PE1/PE2) using Aliasing as described in this document.
   Traffic from H3 can reach H1 via either PE1 or PE2.

   PE2 should install local forwarding state for EVPN IP routes
   advertised by other PEs attached to the same ES (i.e., PE1) but not
   advertise them as local routes.  When the traffic from H3 reaches
   PE2, PE2 will be able forward the traffic to H1 without any
   convergence delay (caused by triggering ARP/ND to H1 or to the next-
   hop to reach H1).  The synchronization of the EVPN IP routes acrossg
   all PEs of the same Ethernet Segment is important to solve
   convergence issues."

Below are the few queries I have, Can someone kindly clarify and enlighten me
with more details.

Are there any particular reasons why this synchronised route is not required to
re-originate ? Do we foresee any problems?

Is re-origination of sync'd MAC/IP route and IP Aliasing implementation is
mutually exclusive ?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Thanks,
Praveen