Hi Robert,

We write standards to serve those who implement, deploy, and manage the
technology. That means among other things, that our documents need to be
specific enough to enable interoperable implementations to be written. Simply
saying “the intention is to run BGP over TLS” (or some variation on that theme)
is not sufficient to let two implementors, working in isolation, produce two
implementations that interoperate.

In many cases the necessary details will be quite brief — the I-D you pointed
to earlier in the thread is a total of 6 pages, of which only about a page is
the core. [1] But without them, you can’t say you’ve written a complete
specification. One possible way around this is to write something to the effect
of “details of how to secure this protocol are beyond the scope of this
document”, and leave it as an exercise for the reader to fill in the needed
parts. That approach might run into other objections, though, I’m not
recommending it.

I don’t entirely understand the point you’re making in your final paragraph,
but perhaps you’re suggesting that my position is a slippery slope leading to a
requirement to spec every protocol over every other protocol. If so, that is a
misunderstanding. What I’m saying is, if a spec takes the position that the
security architecture for foo is to run over transport bar, then there need to
be sufficient details of how to run foo over bar, either in the document or
referenced. That doesn’t imply that foo also has to be specified over baz, faz,
and qux, even if it’s technically feasible to run it that way.

—John

[1] This is not an endorsement of that I-D.