Indians not as large-hearted as Pakistanis: Afridi

Days after winning the hearts of numerous Indian fans with his remarks after
his team's loss in the World Cup semi-final, Pakistan cricket captain Shahid
Afridi has said Indians are not as largehearted as Pakistanis.

Afridi also slammed the Indian media for its "very negative approach" and
said the Pakistani media was a "hundred times better" than its Indian
counterpart.

"In my opinion, if I have to tell the truth, they (Indians) will never have
hearts like Muslims and Pakistanis. I don't think they have the large and
clean hearts that Allah has given us," Afridi said during a talk show on
Samaa news channel when he was asked about relations between the two
countries.

"It is a very difficult thing for us to live with them (Indians) or to have
long-term relationship with them. Nothing will come out of talks. See how
many times in the past 60 years we have had friendship and then how many
times things have gone bad," he said as the audience in the TV channel's
studio applauded him repeatedly.

"We don't want to fight with each other but a third country – everyone knows
which one it is ¿ is trying to spoil our relations. (This country) is taking
advantage of Pakistan and wants to take advantage of India. I don't want to
go into details but these people will not let us come together," he added.

Asked about the Indian media's coverage of the Pakistani team during the
semi-final with India at Mohali on March 30, Afridi replied: "The Indian
media has a very negative approach and very negative thoughts. The people
may not be like that but I think the media had a very dirty role in spoiling
relations between us and India.

"Our media, which is criticised by people, is hundred times better than
theirs," he said.

India beat Pakistan in the semi-final, which was watched by the Prime
Ministers of the two countries, who used cricket diplomacy to boost the
peace process between the two sides.

Afridi also criticised Interior Minister Rehman Malik for warning the
Pakistani team not to get involved in match-fixing and Indian cricketer
Gautam Gambhir, who vowed to dedicate victory in the World Cup final to
victims of the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

"I think they were both very stupid comments by Rehman Malik and Gautam
Gambhir...I wasn't expecting this from Gautam...This is all politics, what
do you know about who

carried out the Bombay attacks?" he said.

The Mumbai attacks, which left 166 people dead, were carried out by
Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba.

Sohail slams Afridi for comments against Indians

Apr 4, 2011, 07.49pm IST
PTIhttp://images.photogallery.indiatimes.com/images/spacer.gif

 <http://m.timesofindia.com/quickiearticleshow/msid-7865798.cms>
http://m.timesofindia.com/thumb.cms?msid=7865798&width=100&resizemode=4

Former Pakistan skipper Aamir Sohail slammed current captain Shahid Afridi
for his comments against Indians. (AFP Photo)

NEW DELHI: Former Pakistan skipper Aamir Sohail on Monday slammed current
captain Shahid Afridi for his comments that Indians are "not as
large-hearted as Pakistanis", saying that the staement was "immaturish and
untimely".

Afridi had said after reaching home following Pakistan's semifinal exit from
the World Cup that it would be very difficult for Pakistanis to live with
Indians or to have long-term relationship with them.

Sohail said Afridi should not have made these remarks just after the
goodwill generated in the aftermatch of the India-Pakistan semifinal clash
at Mohali and he should respect each individual.

"I think Afridi should not have made such comments. You got to respect every
individual. His statement is kind of immaturish and at the same time
untimely," Sohail said.

Afridi had also criticised Indian media for its "negative approach" but
Sohail said media has a certain role to play.

"Look, media has a certain role to play. Media highlights the different
aspects of an issue. For me, media is like a pain in body. You have to deal
with media and find solutions in the relationship with it just like we
consult doctors," he told 'Times Now'.

During a talk show in Pakistan after his side's loss to India, Afridi had
said that Indians are not as large-hearted as Pakistanis while the Indian
media has "negative approach".

"In my opinion, if I have to tell the truth, they (Indians) will never have
hearts like Muslims and Pakistanis. I don't think they have the large and
clean hearts that Allah has given us," Afridi had said.

"It is a very difficult thing for us to live with them (Indians) or to have
long-term relationship with them. Nothing will come out of talks. See how
many times in the past 60 years we have had friendship and then how many
times things have gone bad," he said.

Asked about the Indian media's coverage of the Pakistani team during the
semifinal on March 30, Afridi had said, "The Indian media has a very
negative approach and very negative thoughts. The people may not be like
that but I think the media had a very dirty role in spoiling relations
between us and India.

"Our media, which is criticised by people, is hundred times better than
theirs," he said.

Email this article <http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/mail/7865768.cms>  to a
Friend