I'm happy this is getting some attention. Apart from the usability
issues this sheds some light into another problem which is: Blender
should not render crippled scenes ever. At least on background mode
Blender needs to stop if drives aren't functioning and/or if textures
are missing. The fact that it happily continues is making us loose
valuable render time.
Daniel Salazar
patazstudio.com