Hi,

This might not be fully using the same technical approach, but see
https://github.com/paulmelis/blender-ply-import for another way of doing faster PLY imports.

Regards,
Paul

On 14-02-18 03:35, Campbell Barton wrote:
Hi, your question is too general, best do some research into this
topic and ask more detailed questions as you need.

Suggestions.
- Read over PLY and STL source code.
- Find bottleneck's that compiled code could help with.
- Apply the patch D2835 (linked from the idea's page) and try make a
simple C module.