The New York Times
December 27, 2008

Bush Data Threatens to Overload Archives
By ROBERT PEAR and SCOTT SHANE

WASHINGTON — The National Archives has put into effect an emergency plan 
to handle electronic records from the Bush White House amid growing 
doubts about whether its new $144 million computer system can cope with 
the vast quantities of digital data it will receive when President Bush 
leaves office on Jan. 20.

The technical challenge was an inevitable result of the explosion in 
cybercommunications, which will make the electronic record of the Bush 
years about 50 times as large as that left by the Clinton White House in 
2001, archives officials estimate. The collection will include 
top-secret e-mail tracing plans for the Iraq war as well as scenes from 
the likes of Barney Cam 2008, a White House video featuring the first pet.

Under federal law, the government has “complete ownership, possession 
and control” of presidential and vice-presidential records. The moment 
Mr. Bush leaves office, the National Archives becomes legally 
responsible for “the custody, control and preservation” of the records.

Archives officials who disclosed the emergency plan said it would mean 
that the agency would initially take over parts of the White House 
storage system, freezing the contents on Jan. 20. Only later, after 
further study, will archivists try to move the records into the 
futuristic computer system they have devised as a repository for digital 
data.

Questions about the archives’ capacity have added a new element to the 
uneasiness felt by open-government advocates and historians, who already 
fear that departing White House officials, particularly Vice President 
Dick Cheney, may not turn over everything. Mr. Cheney asserted this 
month in a court case that he had absolute discretion to decide which of 
his records are official and which are personal, and thus do not have to 
be transferred to the archives,

The National Archives has already begun trucking boxes of paper records 
from the White House to a warehouse it is leasing in Lewisville, Tex., 
not a great distance from where Mr. Bush’s presidential library is to be 
built, at Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

The archives invoked its emergency plan to deal with problems in 
transferring two types of electronic files: a huge collection of digital 
photographs and the “records management system,” which provides an index 
to most of the textual records generated by Mr. Bush and his staff 
members in the last eight years.

Archivists said it could be weeks or months before these files could be 
indexed and searched.

In their plan, archives officials wrote, the transition poses “unique 
challenges” because of the huge volume of electronic records, some of 
them in “formats not previously dealt with.” Even though archivists have 
been working with the White House to survey the documents, “there is 
always a possibility that some electronic records may be overlooked,” 
the officials wrote.

If the electronic records of the Bush White House total 100 terabytes of 
information, as archives officials estimate, that would be about 50 
times the volume of electronic records left behind by the Clinton White 
House in 2001 and some five times the contents of all 20 million 
catalogued books in the Library of Congress.

“It’s a monstrous volume of material, and some people wonder if the 
system can absorb it,” said Lee White, executive director of the 
National Coalition for History, a collection of 60 archival and 
historical groups.

Sam Watkins, a transition liaison officer at the archives, said his 
agency was expecting to receive 20 to 24 terabytes of e-mail alone from 
the Bush White House. By contrast, Mr. Watkins said, the volume of 
e-mail from the Clinton White House was less than one terabyte.

While some routine messages may be of little interest to historians, the 
law does not generally permit White House officials to pick which 
messages to preserve. And for an administration not documented by the 
tapes that captured the inside story of the Johnson and Nixon White 
Houses, e-mail may provide a substitute, historians say.

The archives said it had “a high level of confidence” that it could 
bring the e-mail into its electronic record-keeping system and retrieve 
messages in response to requests from Congress and the courts.

But Thomas S. Blanton, director of the nonprofit National Security 
Archive, a plaintiff in several lawsuits seeking Bush administration 
records, said the National Archives’ track record did not justify such a 
claim.

“Their confidence is inexplicable,” Mr. Blanton said.

Archives officials said they might have been better prepared for the 
transition if the White House had cooperated earlier.

Millions of White House e-mail messages created from 2003 to 2005 appear 
to be missing and may not be recoverable. And in September 2007, the top 
lawyer at the National Archives wrote in a memorandum that he had “made 
almost zero progress” planning the transition because the White House 
had ignored repeated requests for information about the volume and 
formats of electronic records.

In May of this year, the Government Accountability Office, an 
investigative arm of Congress, found that “the administration has not 
yet provided specific information on the volume and types of data to be 
transferred” to the archives. Linda D. Koontz of the accountability 
office warned in May and again in September that the National Archives 
might not be ready for the torrent of electronic records on Jan. 20.

Questions remain about how quickly the archives will be able to make the 
records accessible to Congress, the courts and researchers, said Paul 
Brachfeld, the archives’ inspector general.

“The electronic records archives system may be able to take in a 
tremendous amount of e-mail and other records,” Mr. Brachfeld said. “But 
just because you ingest the data does not mean that people can locate, 
identify, recover and use the records they need.”

The contingency plan, quietly approved by the National Archives on Nov. 
7, emphasizes the difficulties posed by large numbers of White House 
records created with proprietary commercial software.

Proprietary products can create problems because they quickly become 
obsolete, as anyone who has weathered the transition from VHS tape to 
DVDs can attest. The National Archives seeks to preserve electronic 
records in a form that can be used for decades to come.

Even if the technology were perfect, some historians, librarians and 
watchdog groups say they do not fully trust the administration to 
preserve its records.

Their worries were heightened by a filing by Mr. Cheney’s lawyers this 
month in a lawsuit filed by the National Security Archive, Citizens for 
Responsibility and Ethics in Washington and other interest groups. The 
filing said neither the National Archives nor the court “may supervise 
the vice president or his office” for compliance with the Presidential 
Records Act.

“There’s some anxiety, particularly given the attitude of the office of 
the vice president toward records preservation and disclosure,” said 
Steven Aftergood, of the Federation of American Scientists, who is 
editor of the online publication Secrecy News.

A Cheney spokesman, Megan M. Mitchell, said that his office had been 
handing over records to the archives “for some time now” and that 
concerns about the vice president’s intentions were misplaced.

“We will do everything we can under the law to preserve records,” Ms. 
Mitchell said.

But J. William Leonard, who stepped down in January as the top archives 
official overseeing classified records, said there was ample reason for 
skepticism.

Mr. Leonard, who clashed while in government with the vice president’s 
office, noted a remark that Mr. Cheney made in September 2007, at the 
presidential library of Gerald R. Ford, for whom Mr. Cheney once worked 
as White House chief of staff.

“I’m told researchers like to come and dig through my files, to see if 
anything interesting turns up,” Mr. Cheney said. “I want to wish them 
luck, but the files are pretty thin. I learned early on that if you 
don’t want your memos to get you in trouble some day, just don’t write any.”

Fonte: 
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/washington/27archives.html?emc=tnt&tntemail0=y

_______________________________________________
Instruções para desiscrever-se por conta própria:
http://listas.ibict.br/cgi-bin/mailman/options/bib_virtual
Bib_virtual mailing list
[email protected]
http://listas.ibict.br/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/bib_virtual

Responder a