On 11 Oct 2007, at 6:48 PM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> I am starting to work through the cataloging rules in order to
> improve treatments of imports from z39.50 imports. First, I have a
> question for Christiaan or some other developer about how the parsers
> work. Does it work by reading the field numbers, and then the
> indicator?

Basically, yes. BTW, we don't use the format dumped in the Annote
field but the raw MARC, which is better machine readable (more well-
defined).

> For example, the following line was copied from the
> "Annote" field of a BT record in BD that I imported from a library
> catalog:
>
> 050 00 $aB358$b.C57
>
> 050 is the field number, while the first 0 is the first indicator and
> the second 0 is the second indicator.
>
> The question is, could the parser determine the value of the
> indicators? These can provide important information about the
> formatting of the contents of the field.

That parser can in principle determine the indicators, but currently
they are ignored. They are not always included and are sometimes
inconsistent. I haven't found a real need for them for the fields we
parse.

> I take it that is possible identify the contents of a subfield, e.g.,
> B358 in this case being subfield a, indicated by $a.
>
> I am starting with subject terms, which I think should go into the
> keywords field.

My problem is that there seem to be really a lot of fields that could
be suitable for keywords. I think most users wouldn't want to pollute
their keywords with too much trash.

Christiaan