I have a question regarding BibDesk's export of RIS data by dragging.

Tinderbox, from Eastgate Systems, is capable of accepting RIS export drags
from BibDesk: dragging in a  RIS description from BibDesk to Tinderbox
results in a nicely formatted note being created in Tinderbox with all of
the metadata of the reference automatically filled in.

Recently I noticed a problem where, in addition to a new reference note
being created,  an additional spurious note labelled `new' was also being
created. I reported this and Tinderbox's creator Mark Bernstein isolated
the problem as follows:

Returning to BibDesk, this program places two items on the pasteboard when
> dragging references. The first item contains the RIS of all of the
> references in the drag; the second contains no text and its purpose is
> obscure to me.
> If anyone can find the explanation in the BibDesk documentation, that
> might be useful.

 Is this second note on the pasteboard there for a reason?