Posted on Thu, Apr. 04, 2002

CROSSING BOULEVARD'S A RISKY TRIP
MANY PEDESTRIANS HAVE BEEN KILLED OR MAIMED ON 12-LANE HIGHWAY
By MYUNG OAK KIM
[EMAIL PROTECTED]


FAMILY PHOTO

Ida Negro, 78, was killed by a car on the Boulevard


IDA NEGRO, a 78-year-old grandmother from Bustleton, stopped driving on
Roosevelt Boulevard years ago.
The road is too dangerous, too rife with speeding drivers, the retired
seamstress told her family.

But the spry Italian immigrant believed she was safe walking across the
12-lane highway.

She was wrong.

On a sunny, clear morning last October, Negro stepped off a SEPTA bus at the
Boulevard near St. Vincent Street.

She started across the Boulevard in a crosswalk toward the Kmart, carrying a
bag containing a tablecloth she planned to return.

Just before she reached the center median, an SUV driven by a 53-year-old
woman from the Northeast struck her. Negro died four hours later at the
hospital - one of Roosevelt Boulevard's 23 fatalities in 2001 and another
exclamation mark on the highway's distinction as one of America's worst.

Roosevelt Boulevard is well-established as a magnet for vehicle crashes.

It's also a pedestrian killer.

Every day, hundreds of people make the harrowing, 250-foot journey across
the Boulevard on foot. Last year, five people, including Negro, died trying
to get to the other side. A 9-year-old boy was another of the victims.
Scores more were maimed.


Sisters hit at same spot
Six years before Ida Negro died, two young sisters were struck by a car and
seriously hurt crossing the same stretch of highway. Their family sued the
city, the state Transportation Department, and a private engineering firm
that had been hired by PennDOT in 1990 to improve pedestrian safety.

Lawyer Stewart Cohen, who represented the sisters, alleged that the
Boulevard was unsafe. The sisters settled the lawsuit for $4.3 million, a
Boulevard record. Because of caps on the state and city legal liability,
most of the money came from the engineering firm.

But not even that huge legal settlement forced much change. The only
monument to the two maimed little girls are large neon-green crosswalk signs
where they were struck.

That angers Frank Nero, Ida Negro's son.

"It's more economical just to put people in jeopardy than to fix what needs
to be fixed," Nero said. "They just leave it the way it is. They put some
signs up and they take their chances."

The way Nero sees it, the Boulevard killed his mom.

"The policeman . . .said the driver didn't do anything wrong. She wasn't
intoxicated. They believe she wasn't speeding. That leads me to believe that
the intersection is defective."

That may also be the case with the Boulevard's intersection at Cottman
Avenue.

On the afternoon of Dec. 19, a student from Bangladesh named Poly Khanom,
19, was standing on the center median of the Cottman Avenue overpass,
waiting for the light to change. The SEPTA bus she had just ridden from an
office management class in Center City had dropped her three blocks from
home.

A 36-year-old Mayfair man at the wheel of a southbound minivan ran a red
light at Cottman, hit a car, jumped the curb and pinned Khanom into a
guardrail.

The impact ripped off her left leg below the knee and shattered the bones in
her lower right leg. The driver was unhurt.

Khanom spent nearly two months in the hospital.

Her mother cries every day, fearing for her daughter's future. She had
planned to take Poly to Bangladesh this summer to get married. Now she
wonders if Poly will ever find a husband.

Khanom looks at pictures of herself before the crash, like they were from
some distant time.

"I can't believe I was like that before," she said. "I wish I could go back
to that.

"I don't like it when people say I'm lucky." *




----
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to the
Bicycle Coalition of the Delaware Valley list named "bike."
To subscribe or unsubscribe or for archive information, see
<http://www.purple.com/list.html>.

Reply via email to