After reading quite a bit about this subject, my opinion is that The
Republican controlled state assembly, and the federal government under
republican control has done just as much "command and control" over
local transportation projects as you suggest an Obama administration
would.  Whether the massive and easy highway funding and
slower-n-mollasses running up a tree in winter transit process is merely
a result of pork-barrel politics or a more deliberate goal, the fact
remains that Republicans have an impressive record of promoting
low-density land-use/transportation environments.

Ideally I'd love to see our government undertake a process of reforming
the State and Federal transportation funding model to give metropolitan
areas (READ: local governments) more direct control over transportation
funding.

In fact, let me outline my plan right now:

The state shall control no more than 25% of all federal/state
transportation monies collected/distributed in the state.

That 25% shall be dedicated exclusively to maintaining transportation
infrastructure outside of metropolitan areas.  Any money left over from
the 25% must be distributed to local units of government.

Under no circumstances shall the state earmark monies outside of that
25% for any one particular mode of transportation, location, or project.

Monies not utilized by the state are to be distributed to metropolitan
areas based on population with no strings attached.