If the City of Milwaukee had control over transportation funds, it might
well decide to spend it on light rail and other forms of transportation.
In reality, though, the State and the Feds collect the money, and it's
mostly the State that calls the shots.

Back when the Republicans controlled the legislature and the Governor's
office, they followed Waukesha County's lead, and passed a law that
prevented Milwaukee from building, or even studying a light rail system --
even within its city limits -- and they pushed forward a massive
reconstruction of the Marquette Interchange and an "upgrade" of the
East-West Freeway that Milwaukee didn't want.  Command and control at its
best, I guess.

On the other hand, the purpose of transportation is to get people and
things from one place to another, so it can't be handled on a strictly
local basis.  I get no direct benefit from the State highways that go to
Ripon -- I've been there just once in my life, and I have no plans to go
to next year's Louis Reed time trials -- but I recognize that these roads
are part of system that includes roads I do use from time to time.

>From Eric's standpoint, it might sense, in principal, to get the state out
of the transportation business and devolve all responsibility to cities
and townships, but I don't think that would work well in practice.  In
reality, we can't escape the fact that some decisions have to be made at
the State level.  If they have the power to make decisions, they have the
power to make bad decisions; it's our job to insist that they make good
decisions instead.