I do somewhat the same, without pulling in front of the vehicle....slow, stand 
on the peddles, showing the drivers in the area that I'm clearly not just 
blasting through on my merry way...I don't want to get hit by two tons of 
metal!....the standing also allows me to keep some momentum if possible to 
track stand still if need be and get up to speed quicker AND makes me more 
noticeable..it would be nice to drop the 20 pounds I'd like to so that I wasn't 
SO big and noticeable but we've got too good of beer in these parts.  Live to 
ride another day...there's plenty of roads and trails out there where you can 
hammer without stopping if that's what you're looking for.
As to a slightly earlier thread....I'm still convinced that a marketing 
campaign of all the types of cyclists are out there and how it helps the common 
good...I thought of "One Less"...one less car competing for your lane...your 
parking spot...one less person whose health is troubled and its associated 
costs (hopefully!) one less person taxing the roadways...one less person 
creating pollution....heightening demand for gas and if in great number, the 
price....one less person uptight at work because of the catharsis of a good 
commute...there are plenty of other "one less" items..and a lot of one 
"more"...one more person enjoying nature...one more person easing 
traffic....etc etc....robbie and matt are right..wayyyyyy too much perception 
of cyclists as all the same person...1 outta 10 run reds when they shouldn't if 
that...but media types allege its ALL of us....
we can do better...Ride the Drive was a great example of how so...now lets get 
implementing a LOT of those Platinum Bike strategies....bike racks on Parking 
meters anyone???
Have a great riding weekend,

Troy Thiel


--- On Fri, 9/4/09, India Rose Viola <[email protected]> wrote:

From: India Rose Viola <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Bikies] get noticed
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Date: Friday, September 4, 2009, 4:26 PM

What David described is pretty much what I do, too.  It works well.
Another good tactic is making eye contact with oncoming motorists, as well as a 
friendly hand-wave.  I usually get a smile back, and suddenly we are all on the 
same "team" again.  Connecting with a smile and a wave reminds us that we are 
still human- no matter what our mode of transport might be.

-india

----- Original Message -----
From: David Waugh <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, September 4, 2009 4:20 pm
Subject: [Bikies] get noticed
To: [email protected]


> A good way for bikes to be appreciated by motorists for stopping at 
> red lights is to move to the center of the lane, right in front of the 
> waiting autos (this also allows for cars turning right to be able to 
> do so.)  I always imagine the driver getting anxious that I will 
> impede their progress once the light turns green.  A split second 
> before the light turns green, and if the coast is clear, ride out into 
> the intersection and go back to the right hand side of the roadway.  
> The auto drivers clearly registered in their brain that you stopped 
> and waited, and then they were happy you didn't block their path after 
> all.  Kudos to bikers!
> 
> David Waugh
> _______________________________________________
> Bikies mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org
_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org



      
_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

Reply via email to