We should get name tags... then when we meet at these troubled points, we can introduce ourselves (as I could only identify a couple bikies) I have the old emerald green Takara, upright bars, Silver PB Cascadia fenders, and a safety triangle in back. I agree with all the various POV's - especially on Monroe/Regent, Nolen/Northshore, Blair/Willy/Nolen (of course I traverse these 2X everyday)

I see the Flying Right turn bit as a HUGE issue in cyclist safety at these intersections. It's a 'right' that motorists seem to abuse by not bothering to 'yield' or even take a peek at what's going in the area. It allows them to maintain a higher rate of speed going in that should not be seen at intersections when turning.

Since I recognize this danger, I NEVER assume anything. I just wait and chalk the delay up on my 'list of thing that will keep me alive longer.' If I am heading west, crossing Regent toward the new (will it ever get finished?) motel, and I see headlights travelling toward me at a high rate of speed in the right hand lane of Monroe - with or without blinkers - and I have the green... I RARELY proceed. Motorists who are in a hurry are marginally rational and providing some example (bodily injury) doesn't appeal to me. Some may say that 'yielding' my right to cross because danger is imminent is caving to the automobile. I'm all for advocacy, but I have a survival instinct too. In bright daylight in perfect conditions, I'll coast across, make eye contact with the turning motorists, and proceed. They usually yield. Crossing from the path, across Monroe toward the Camp is much safer.

I think Heavy signage would be the only solution. No Right Turn On Red is an option (unlikely). Or periodic ALL RED lights for safe Ped crossing (I've seen this but it ain't gonna happen).

I note at this intersection, high on a light pole, there is some Madison Bicycle Safe City 2006-2012 sign. ironic. for better effect, they should make the sign BIGGER and hang it down real low where all can see it.

Mark E

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:52:46 -0600
From: India Rose Viola <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Bikies] Crossing Regent at Monroe
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain; CHARSET=US-ASCII

This particular intersection NEEDS to be improved for everyone, especially cyclists. There should be bike boxes, clearly marked bike lanes for cyclists going straight or turning, and a whole bunch of signage that helps the local and non-local auto drivers be aware that this is an intersection that connects a high-traffic bikeway.

_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

Reply via email to