that long hill up Cottage Grove Rd. is a deterrent to many, especially the
non-Spandex commandos.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Robbie Webber via Bikies <
bikies@lists.danenet.org> wrote:

> Got this from Grant Foster (below). With few driveways and a complete
> reconstruction of the roadway, this is a perfect opportunity to build
> protected bike lanes. Even if they were only protected with plastic
> bollards, that would give a visual cue to motorists and would likely also
> visually narrow the driving area and slow traffic.
>
> With a signed speed limit of 40 MPH and a wide-open feel likely meaning a
> much higher actual average speed, Cottage Grove Rd as proposed is hardly
> bike friendly. Yet it is a significant "escape route" to eastern Dane
> County and a growing area with new urbanist neighborhoods being built.
>
> When we have the chance to build a much safer and more bike-friendly road
> -- which will also be safer for pedestrians and transit users -- it is a
> crime not to do so.
>
> [start forwarded message]
>
> There will be an update provided to PBMVC on Tuesday, 10/27, on the future
> Cottage Grove Rd. project. Would be a good time to register any feedback
> with the commission regarding the expansion to a 4-lane section and the
> unbuffered/unprotected bike lanes proposed (note: they have grown from 4'
> to 5' in width). Always great to show up and share your thoughts verbally
> or you can also send in written comments ahead of the meeting.
>
> Details of project here:
>
> https://madison.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2501564&GUID=C351E991-D620-49CD-B60E-FE794FFCD38B
>

> Robbie Webber
> Transportation Policy Analyst
> 608-263-9984 (o)
> 608-225-0002 (c)
> rob...@robbiewebber.org
> All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of
> my employer or any other group with which I am affiliated.

"If we continue to consume the world until there's no more to consume, then
there's going to come a day, sure as hell, when our children or their
children or their children's children are going to look back on us--on you
and me--and say to themselves, 'My God, what kind of monsters were these
people?'"

--Daniel Quinn