You don't need spandex to make it up that hill, Tim; maybe just an increase
of spinach and Wheaties in your diet;)

The two major issues with this proposed reconstruct are: 1) the conversion
of a 10-15,000 VMT roadway to a 4-lane (plus turn lane) boulevard and 2)
the installation of a 5' unbuffered/unprotected bike lane on a that 4-lane,
40mph design-speed roadway.

Why do we want to build a stroad here? Why would a N. Sherman-style TWLTL
not work? Do we honestly ever expect anyone other than the bold and
fearless to use this bike lane? What example can we point to where
grandmothers and children are comfortable riding on this sort of facilty?

There are no alternate routes to cross the interstate on bicycle between
Milwaukee and Buckeye. Why does that matter? Here are travel times by bike
from the middle of this New Urbanist neighborhood:

Elvejem School-9 minutes
Kennedy School-11 min
LaFollette-23 min
Rolling Meadows Shopping Center-7 min
YMCA/Royster Clark dev.-13 min
Pinney Library-14 min
Lake Edge Shopping Center-16 miin
Olbrich Park and Gardens-19 min

And of course there are a ton of residents on the west side of the
interstate that could (should) have great bike access to the grocery store
or Great Dane in this neighborhood as well. Do we resign to have all of
those trips happen by personal MV or are we seriously committed to
promoting and facilitating bike travel as a real transportation alternative?