Naive users messing up using CNAMEs is really neither here nor there
because they are just as likely to mess up any other type of DNS
record.  The fact that CNAME MX records has not destroyed the internet
belittles the staunch firestorm that CNAME MX records will destroy the
internet.  I've never had a problem dealing with it on my mail servers.
The only time I notice it is by chance when I'm idly browsing through
DNS records of whomever for whatever reason.  20 years ago we didn't
have the spam issues we do now, nor the technological changes.  One
machine, one IP, one hostname, one PTR.  Now we have mass distributed
virtual hosting for websites and numerous other services.  We used to
have no impetus to use much security involving DNS, nor was TCP used
much.  UDP was ubiquitous for port 53.  Virtual SSL is all the rage now
and load balanced mail servers listen to multiple ports and protocols as
a default instead of just plain tcp/25. DNS itself has become far more
evolved.

A mailserver of yester-year did far few DNS lookups in a hugely
different scale.  I would not be surprised to see the common mail server
fetching every which type of DNS record and analyzing it from every
which angle as part and parcel of anti-spam measures.  I do not thing it
is any significant burden to push the need for every MTA to fully
resolve an MX record which happens to be a CNAME as standard procedure.
It appears that many if not most, do so already.  Especially those that
intentionally discriminate against incoming CNAME MX emails.  That's
rather the cutting off of the nose to spite the face.  You're going out
of your way to verify the reverse path of an incoming email.  It is not
necessary for delivery so why do it?

What some people consider rubbish for input is desired for another.
Some people foam at the mouth should anyone bring up an editor other
than vi, or rich text email.  Yet I'm amused that a person chooses to
spend 10 hours writing up something in vi and fighting with formatting
instead of using a GUI editor.  I'm aghast at most ASCII rendition
attempts by someone, when a simple rich text markup would make it
instantly clear and require a miniscule amount of time trying to decode
and understand the horrible ASCII.  There's a reason we have 96dpi 16m
color screens instead of a row of nixie tubes for display output.  I'm
sure punch card bandits scoffed at the nixie tube users.  Some people
just don't like change, or an idea that came from someone else, or
challenges their personal opinion how things ought to be.

Consider the "rubbish" email which a certain MTA vendor rejects out of
hand because each line isn't strictly well-formed per RFC.  If every
vendor was as utterly asinine about absolutist conformance, sure, we'd
have a lot less mess out there, but we'd have a lot less forward
movement as well as a lot more fractioning of software packages.  Since
everyone wants to do the protocol their own way, we'd just have a
multitude of protocol variations rather than more flexible interoperability.

The majority of the internet seems to run on "just enough clue" to make
things work and surprisingly, the amount of clue needed to move stuff
about the 'tubes isn't very much.  In that regard, the internet seems to
work well enough even with some oddball CNAME MX records out there and
usually the only people noticing it are the elitist, and it isn't
necessarily due to email breakage.